Friday, November 27, 2009

under painting ( so far)













I'm finding out through a few studies and this painting so far that I should probably leave the under painting a little more simple and transparent. I'm not at all dissatisfied with the painting so far, but I do wish the first wash of nickle azo gold was coming though a lil more on the border. I'll be knocking down the red on the border a lil more as I do the oil stage, evening it out a lil more to look more like a rusty metal rather than a liquorish color. Also going to add some characteristics like nicks and dings on the surface to look a lil more worn.
I try to work from dark to light more often just so I can judge my lights and highlights a little bit better, but I'll have to be careful not to make it to dark to recover from.